My lists for the 888 challenge

Here they are! Already revised once since being added to my post.....I am so eager for 2008 to start now, so I can start reading my chosen ones! They are piled on one of my shelves, each in their little group. I made a change already because I realized I had left off mysteries and fantasies as a category each, which are both the type of book I read most frequently......I want my challenge books here to be books I am going to read, plus books I want to read, plus books I've been meaning to read.....that way I will finish this challenge! And not try to make myself read books I feel I should read, which I have a bad habit of thinking I need to do.....
*Note: this challenge was revised before Christmas 2007 on my sidebar, but I forgot to go back and redo the original post (still new at blogging.) This was finally updated, with the first books completed also marked, on March 25 2008. :-)

888 CHALLENGE – 8 BOOKS IN 8 CATEGORIES IN 2008

i) Short Story Collections

- Northern Frights 2 – ed Don Hutchison

- Everything's Eventual – Stephen King

- Year's Best Fantasy and Horror – 6th Annual Collection, Datlow and Windling

- Stories of Your Life and Others – Ted Chiang

- Kissing the Witch – Emma Donoghue *

- The Door in the Hedge – Robin McKinley * - Done

- Harrowing the Dragon – Patricia McKillip

- Fragile Things – Neil Gaiman - currently reading

ii) Latest Books by Favourite Authors

- By the Time You Read This - Giles Blunt -Done

- Widdershins – Charles de Lint - Done

- Exit Music – Ian Rankin

- Ysabel – Guy Gavriel Kay - Done

- DA - Connie Willis

- Piece of My Heart – Peter Robinson

- The Remains of an Altar – Phil Rickman - Done

- Kidnapped - Jan Burke

iii) Classic Literature

- Ulysses – James Joyce

- Mrs Dalloway - Virginia Woolf - Done

- Persuasion – Jane Austen

- O Pioneers – Willa Cather

- Beowulf

- Middlemarch – George Eliot

- Jane Eyre – Charlotte Bronte

- The Iliad - Homer


iv) Fairy Tales (original and re-written, short story collections and novels)

- Enchantment – Orson Scott Card

- Fitcher's Brides – Gregory Frost

- Kissing the Witch – Emma Donoghue *

- The Bloody Chamber – Angela Carter

- Black Heart, Ivory Bones – eds Datlow and Windling

- The Door in the Hedge – Robin McKinley * - Done

- The Classic Fairy Tales – Iona and Peter Opie

- Fire and Hemlock - Diana Wynne Jones


v) Non-Fiction

- Canadian Settler's Guide – Catherine Parr Traill - Done

- Life of Charlotte Bronte – Mrs Gaskell

    - 1599 A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare – James Shapiro

    - Journal of a Solitude – May Sarton

- Tarot for Yourself – Mary K. Greer

- The Psychic Pathway – Sonia Choquette

- Crossing to Avalon – Jean Shinoda Bolen

- Toast - A Biography - Nigel Slater

    vi)Mysteries

  • The Remains of an Altar - Phil Rickman *(Latest Book 888) - DONE

  • Exit Music - Ian Rankin * (Latest Book 888)

  • Kidnapped - Jan Burke * (Latest Book 888)

  • Rituals of the Season - Margaret Maron

  • Wash This Blood from My Face - Fred Vargas

  • Piece of My Heart - Peter Robinson * (Canadian Book Challenge, Latest Book 888)

  • Still Life - Louise Penny * (Canadian Book Challenge, First in a Series)

  • Fire Sale - Sara Paretsky

    -

vii)Popular Books I've Been Meaning to Read....

- Inkheart - Cornelia Funke - currently reading

- Obsidian Butterfly – Laurell K. Hamilton

- A Long Way Down – Nick Hornby

- White Teeth – Zadie Smith

- She's Come Undone – Wally Lamb

- The Bean Trees – Barbara Kingsolver


-Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky

- The Bookshop - Penelope Fitzgerald - Done


viii)
Fantasy – (all are in 1st in a Series Challenge)

  • Ysabel - Guy Gavriel Kay * (Latest Books 888, Canadian Book Challenge) - DONE

  • Widdershins - Charles de Lint * (Latest Books 888, Canadian Book Challenge, Chunkster) - DONE

  • The Weirdstone of Brisingamen - Alan Cooper * (First in a Series Challenge)

  • Over Sea, Under Stone - Susan Cooper * (First in a Series Challenge) - DONE

  • The Oracle Queen - Lynn Flewelling

  • Something Rotten - Jasper Fforde * (Latest Books 888)

  • Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell - Susanna Clarke (Mythopoeic RC)

  • Shaman's Crossing - Robin Hobb * (First in a Series Challenge)

    The ones with a star are my cross-overs......I think I'm happy with my list now :-) Thanks for thinking this challenge up, 3M!!

Posted by Susan at 10/20/2007 03:55:00 PM

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Background image by Vlad Studio