Sarah's Choices

I didn't know about this until a couple days ago, so I am probably not going to be able to finish. But I'll start! My list is ridiculously ambitious, anyway, so it's more of a to-read thing than something I expect to finish within the year. I don't have any overlaps, either. Someone slap me!

Blue is read, with a link to a review when I get round to writing it.


19th Century Women

Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
Emma, Jane Austen
Little Women, Louisa May Alcott
Wuthering Heights, Emily Bronte
Villette, Charlotte Bronte
Sense and Sensibility, Jane Austen
Middlemarch, George Eliot

Dystopias and Antiutopias
1984, George Orwell
Brave New World, Aldous Huxley

The Trial, Franz Kafka
A Clockwork Orange, Anthony Burgess
Atlas Shrugged, Ayn Rand
Anthem, Ayn Rand
Island, Aldous Huxley
The Handmaid's Tale, Margaret Atwood

Classic Science Fiction & Fantasy
The Time Machine, H. G. Wells
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, Jules Verne
Journey to the Center of the Earth, Jules Verne
The Invisible Man, H. G. Wells
Dune, Frank Herbert
Frankenstein, Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
The Neverending Story, Michael Ende
The Hobbit, J. R. R. Tolkein


By Brits I Already Love

Leave It to Psmith, Wodehouse
My Uncle Oswald, Roald Dahl
Roald Dahl: Collected Stories
The Complete Sherlock Holmes, A. C. Doyle
Brideshead, Revisited, Evelyn Waugh
Moab is My Washpot, Stephen Fry
The Picture of Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde

By Others I Already Love...maybe more Brits
Pale Fire, Nabokov
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, Douglas Adams
Something Happened, Joseph Heller
Closing Time, Joseph Heller
Collected Essays, George Orwell
Keep the Aspidistra Flying, George Orwell
Pnin, Nabokov
A Moveable Feast, Hemingway


Things I've Avoided

Dubliners, James Joyce
Walden, Thoreau
Great Expectations, Dickens
East of Eden, Steinbeck
The Death of Ivan Ilyich, Tolstoy
The Brothers Karamazov, Dostoevsky
The Three Musketeers, Dumas
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Mark Twain

Kurt Vonnegut
The Sirens of Titan
Slaughterhouse-Five
God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater
Mother Night
Player Piano
Jailbird
Bagombo Snuff Box
Galapagos


Started, but Haven't Finished [and by now will have to start over]
The Master and Margarita, Bulgakov
David Copperfield, Dickens
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Hunter S. Thompson
Notre-Dame de Paris, Hugo
The Great Gatsby, Fitzgerald
For Whom the Bell Tolls, Hemingway
The Sound and the Fury, Faulkner
Candide, Voltaire

Posted by inktree at 3/27/2008 10:16:00 AM

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Background image by Vlad Studio